Despite more than 25 years of karate training, I've never had to use my skills to defend my life. I've had to immobilize a mental patient that shouldn't have been released from the county hospital who went berzerker on a co-worker at a mall job I had while I was a college student. And, there've been less than a handful of scuffles I'm proud to claim I talked and walked my way out. All the sparring in the dojo and at taikai don't count at all. The truth is: Most of us will never be tested. Yet, today I'm relieved that a suspect has been arrested for the kidnap-assault-attempted sexual molestation of a 12 year old girl from San Jose, California.
This brave young girl, ignored the pain of being struck by the suspect's car which was stolen. Suffering from a fractured skull and multiple pelvic fractures, she was dragged into the car by the suspect and driven some distance away where she successfully fought off what would probably have been her rape and murder. Eventually, she made her way to a house where she was helped by a friendly samaritan.
Thank goodness she possessed the will to live and the spirit to fight back. More than likely, she had seen and heard several stories on TV about abducted children who never come home alive. She made the mental connection that if she didn't fight, that if she didn't escape, she wouldn't see her family again. She wouldn't see tomorrow.
It's a sad time when we have to start teaching children to not just "stay away from strangers." But also: Beware adults. How can they ever learn to trust any of us?
I wish her a speedy recovery and return to her soccer team.
Below is a link to a local report by KPIX:
San Jose Girl
No comments:
Post a Comment