Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How to Triple String Your Nunchaku

Wow! Making this video was truly an exercise in patience, endurance, and humility ALL wrapped up in one project. I trashed my original footage and shot/edited what you see below. I'm learning "the ropes" as I go with all this non-linear video, various compression algorithms, and bit rates. Life was much easier during the analog years.

Anyway, I 86'ed the idea of narrating over this tutorial. Speaking was what slowed down the original project in the first place. Just follow along with each of the steps, pause and rewind where you need more detail. (Ocassionally, the two rods are tied together, near the wide ends. This was done for ease of videography. It's actually easier to leave the rods loose.)



Tools & Supplies: 4 piece probe set (from hardware store); parachute cord (#650); rope cutter (or scissor); mini torch (avoid short matches, melted nylon drips); sand paper (to knock down splinters/raised grain); flashlight (when peering down bores); tape measure (to check for equal endplay).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent video showing how to triple rope your Nunchaku. The weaving of the end of the rope through both "slots" at the top will guarantee that the rope won't come loose. Using paracord which has a strength of 550 pounds means the rope won't break either.

Thanks for the video.

erniesbudolab said...

Bill-sensei,

Thanks for your kind words. I've got more tutorials planned for other kobudo weapons in the works.

Stay tuned in,
Ernie, Chief Lab Rat

Unknown said...

Ernie;
Thank you for your time in making this video. Your method is very good and we appreciate your help.

Sincerely;
Mark Spear
Stonington, CT
Black Bear Traditional Martial Arts
WWW.BBTMAC.Com

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this fantastic video. I just received my first nunchaku for Christmas, and within two days, the double-strung cord came undone. I hadn't even done much practicing! So I am going to attempt to triple string the nunchaku using your method.

Just a quick question though - how long should the length of parachute cord be in order to re-string the nunchaku as you've done?

Thanks again,
Liesl