Wednesday, June 18, 2008

World Have Your Say - Are We Over-Educated?

Earlier today, I was listening to National Public Radio. They were carrying the BBC Radio's production of World Have Your Say. It's a public call in show that receives views and opinions from around the globe on a variety of topics. Responses can be phoned in; text messaged in; or emailed via their blog site.

One subject they were discussing, pertaining to Africa but open for general discussion, was the topic of over-educated Africans. The dilema, as discussed by on-air talents, was over-educated Africans are not able to function in the "real world" where people must work the available jobs that don't require a PhD. Hosts and callers pointed out that mainly taxpayers covered PhD candidates' expenses and complained that after graduation, graduates leave Africa because they cannot find work in their field of study.

That got me thinking: Are we as global citizens over-educated? How many of us are over-qualified for the job we have (or had)? In the BBC blog, one commentor stated that "education" is for the enrichment of the mind and soul. Education should not have anything to do with "vocation." I didn't get into an argument with anyone, but fifteen years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed. After suffering through underpaying jobs, piling debt, and dismally apparent job dissatisfaction, I wholeheartedly...semi-disagree now(eh?).

Committing four (or more) years and tens of thousands of dollars (or more) to one's higher education, in my opinion -these days- cannot be separated from one's vocation. Think of it this way: An insensitive manager at a business demotes a junior back to hourly employee status and says, "Don't take it personal, it's just business." Dammit! If that happened to me, you bet I'd take it pesonally. I spend more time at work than with my family and my friends. Given that analogy, I view university education as practice for working life. School is "on the job training," and work is "training on the job." (Yes, that's what I meant!)

Here's what I had to say on World Have Your Say: BBC Radio Blog

No comments: